National Guard Armory
The Works Progress Administration built the National Guard Armory in Batesville in 1936.
A 1998 National Register of Historic Places Registration Form describes the formal characteristics of the structure: “The 1936 National Guard Armory in Batesville was constructed in a vernacular Ozark stone style with Gothic Revival influences by local stonemasons hired by the federal government as well as National Guard unit members. The armory was a WPA project designed by Dutch architect Pieter Blaauw and is composed of Batesville sandstone obtained from the Maxfield Quarry on the outskirts of town. Each stone from the local quarry is hand cut. A barreled tarpaper roof is hidden behind varying levels of parapets accented by four pilaster masses on the main section of the building. Parapeted flat-roofed full length wings are featured on the northeast and southwest. Wooden double-hung windows light the interior.”
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, 1998:(http://www.arkansaspreservation.com/National-Register-Listings/PDF/IN0607.nr.pdf), accessed February 20, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on February 21, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE