Old Philadelphia Main Post Office
Originally constructed as Treasury Department project and completed in 1935, Philadelphia’s large Art Deco 30th St. post office served the community for many years, before being left vacant in 2006. It has since been converted into a modern office building.
“In redeveloping the 862,692-square-foot Art Deco style federal building, Brandywine embraced and rejuvenated its pre-Columbian art and architecture-inspired highlights. The Post Office’s ornate public lobby, known as the “Historic Corridor”, featuring two entry rotundas with mosaic domes in a Mayan motif, has been fully restored. The domes, each with 99,816 pieces of glass faience tiles in nine different shades of green and blue with 128 reflectors, have been refreshed to reveal their original brilliance. The marble walls, travertine flooring and wood ceiling were cleaned and brought back to their original brilliance; and the limestone exterior was pointed and cleaned.”
http://whyy.org/cms/news/featured/2009/10/29/great-depression-recovery-shaped-philly-politics/21257 http://www.preservationnation.org/who-we-are/press-center/press-releases/2012/30th-street-main-post-officee.html http://www.brandywinerealty.com/spotlight-30th-street-post-office.aspx
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 17, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE