Old Health Services Building
The massive Health Services Building of the old Jersey City Medical Center complex was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The building, whose former main entrance faces Baldwin Avenue along the west end of the old Medical Center, is 18 stories tall, possesses Deco motifs, and was connected to other buildings on the campus with wings.
The Health Services Building possesses a 1936 cornerstone and was completed in 1938. The building now serves as part of the privately-owned Beacon residential complex.
National Register of Historic Places: http://pdfhost.focus.nps.gov/docs/NRHP/Text/85003057.pdf http://www.njcu.edu/programs/jchistory/pages/m_pages/Medical_Center_Complex.htm
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 1, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE