Eastern HIgh School Building Today
The PWA constructed this building to house the Eastern High School for Girls in 1936-38. In 1979, it became a coeducational school. The school closed in 1986. The buildings were renovated in the 1990s and are now being used for offices by the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.
The PWA’s 1939 buildings survey described the new school as follows:
“This high school…occupies a site of 24 acres in Venable Park, which is developed into an athletic field, a quarter-mile running track, fields for archery, handball, tennis, and badminton courts. Of the 75 classrooms, 25 are equipped for special instruction. There are also a lunchroom, an auditorium seating 2,200, and a gymnasium 80 by 129 feet with folding partition and folding bleachers seating 800. The building is fireproof of the wall-bearing type. Columns and floor slabs are reinforced concrete and the auditorium and gymnasium roofs are concrete supported on steel trusses. Exterior walls are brick trimmed with limestone. The project was completed in July 1938 at a construction cost of $1,473,981 and a project cost of $1,532,717.” (Short and Brown)
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_High_School_%28Baltimore%29
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 20, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE