Old Courthouse, Bristol RI
“During 1934-35 the building was refurbished as a PWA project under the direction of Bristol architect Wallis E. Howe, a partner in the firm Howe & Church. The original Tuscan-columned portico was replaced with a “Gothic” design of clustered colonettes, a ball-frieze design used by Russell Warren on the cornice of Hey Bonnie Hall was replicated, and the courthouse was painted a Colonial Revival scheme of yellow with white trim and green shutters.”
The building is still standing and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Rhode Island Historic Preservation survey Rhode Island Historic Preservation, Bristol County Courthouse entry
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 20, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE