The Works Progress Administration (WPA) initially funded the project, but closed it due to lack of WPA labor in Biloxi (The Daily Herald, 1941). WPA expended $27,937 on the school construction. The design indicated eighteen classrooms, home economics, science and manual training facilities. In addition to the WPA funding, voters approved bonds for $47,000. The bids for building, plumbing and heating exceeded the funding available (The Biloxi Schools, p. 7-8). Additional funding was sought from the Federal Works Agency to complete the building, and it opened in September 1943 (Biloxi Schools).
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory Database. Retrieved from http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural Progress public works in state. August 10, 1942. Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 3. The Biloxi Schools: 1924-2001. Retrieved from biloxischools.schoolwires.net/cms/lib07/MS01910473/.../94/1940s.pdf The Daily Herald, December 31, 1941, p. 3, as cited by the Biloxi Historical Society. Retrieved from http://biloxihistoricalsociety.org/node/251
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 21, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE