Old Berwyn School - Gene Autry, OKPhoto: hamquilter Creative Commons
This WPA-constructed school was built in 1937 when the town was called Berwyn.
“The Old Berwyn School at 45-47 Prairie Street was built by the WPA in 1937-1938. It is a one-story beige brick building with a flat roof. Two recessed entrances face east, each with double glass doors. The north side of the building is currently the Gene Autry post office; the south end houses the Gene Autry Museum. At the curb, a set of terracotta veneer steps lead to the front walk. (We never have understood why so many old schools had these steps which had three steps up, and then three steps back down).
The building has been kept up and is actively used. The museum uses the large auditorium for shows, concerts and movies. The WPA shield for the building is mounted on the wall just inside the entrance to the museum. The old school windows are covered with metal siding.
To the north of this building is a high ceiling one-story rick gymnasium which appeas to be used for storage or other town use. Its windows are also covered with metal siding. It has a shallow gabled roof, and a one-story office section on the front (east side).”
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory: http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=65709&pbc=P
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on March 3, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE