Former 5th District courthouse - Brooklyn NY
Beginning in 1935, Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a large program of improvements to public buildings in Brooklyn, New York. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including the old 5th District Magistrates’ Court Building (also known as the Williamsburg Bridge Courthouse).
The domed, beaux-arts building was originally built by the Williamsburg Trust Company in 1915. It is located at the northwest corner of South 5th St. and New St. in Williamsburg, facing Continental Army Plaza.
A caption for a 1938 photo available at the Brooklyn Public Library states:
“The Williamsburg Bridge Courthouse, acquired by the city from the Williamsburg Trust Company in 1915, and considered a classical piece of architecture when it was built 35 years ago, is shown under renovation by the WPA. The glazed terra cotta exterior of the circular-domed building is being repainted and cleaned, and new oil burning equipment will replace the old heating unit. This is one of 16 old Brooklyn court buildings being reconditioned by the WPA at a cost of nearly $1,000,000.”
Today (2018) the building serves as the Holy Trinity Church.
National Archives RG 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration [WPA]; Project Files; New York City (E 407); box 684; roll 3643; Official Project No. 65-97-43[?].
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 24, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE