“Located in Caribou, Maine, the Nylander Museum of Natural History was dedicated in 1939 by Maine Governor Lewis Barrows. The museum was built as a WPA project. The museum’s construction was jointly funded by federal, state, and municipal governments.
The museum was originally designed to house the collections of Olof O. Nylander, a self-taught naturalist from Oremella, Sweden born in 1864, died 1943…
Today the Nylander Museum houses the original Nylander collection and additional specimens and exhibits that have been donated or are on loan to the museum.” (http://www.cariboumaine.org)
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on March 23, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE