North Berkeley Branch Library
From the City Landmark sign pictured below:
“Well sited in a triangular park, the building offers a harmonious gateway to the surrounding Northbrae neighborhood. It was designed in the Spanish Revival style with a low-pitched red tile roof, central tower, and deeply inset arched windows. The project was funded by the Federal Works Progress Administration and the city. When it opened, civic leaders proclaimed this ‘one of the most beautiful public buildings in the City of Berkeley.'”
Berkeley Civic Affairs Report, 1935 - 6, Berkeley Public Library, History Room. The Architect and Engineer. October 1935. The Architect and Engineer. March 1937.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE