Flax Pond, Nickerson State Park
From the Friends of Nickerson State Park website: “the Civilian Conservation Corps, (CCC) constructed the first roads, camping sites, parking and picnic areas near Flax Pond. CCC workers also planted 88,000 white pine hemlock and spruce trees.”
Hathitrust.org: “Extensive developments were undertaken by the Civilian Conservation Corps before the park was opened to the public in 1937. Roads were laid out, forest trails cleared and marked, wells dug, shelters erected, tent floors laid, and parking areas cleared.”
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee and Evan Kalish on July 29, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE