The Federal Writers’ Project wrote of the New York Botanical Garden:
“The botanical garden, incorporated by the State Legislature in 1891, after a two-year campaign for funds, is maintained by city appropriations, membership fees, and funds from the sale of publications. In recent years considerable improvements have been effected by PWA and WPA grants.”
WPA work at the gardens included the construction of “[s]ome 14,000 linear feet of 10- foot paths” and “the transplanting of 54 large conifers, 41 large deciduous shrubs and 93 medium- sized plants of Ilex opaca.” (http://mertzdigital.nybg.org)
"New York city guide; a comprehensive guide to the five boroughs of the metropolis: Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Richmond"; Federal Writers' Project, 1939 (page 536). http://mertzdigital.nybg.org/cdm/ref/collection/p9016coll22/id/484
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 9, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE