New Discovery State Park Lean-To
The CCC did extensive work at multiple sites within New Discovery State Park, one of several parks located within the Groton State Forest.
“In 1933, CCC Company 146 from Rhode Island was stationed along the road to Osmore Pond. Approximately 3⁄4 mile from the campground on the left, you will see the remains of a stone fence at the entrance to the camp, the Recreation Hall chimney, and cellar holes. Company 146 was responsible for building structures at New Discovery, Osmore Pond, Owl’s Head, and Kettle Pond.
Around Osmore Pond, a 75-person log shelter, 19 picnic sites with stone fireplaces, and four remote campsites were built. The gray picnic tables in the shelter are original, as are the 3 remote lean-tos on the east side of the pond.
Area “B” in the campground was designed and built by Company 146. All 21 sites still have usable stone fireplaces.
The park ranger house at the entrance to New Discovery was also built by Company 146 and was the main CCC headquarters for the Forest.
The Norway spruce plantations around New Discovery were also planted during this time by the CCCs…”
CCC Sites in Groton State Forest
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on April 18, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE