The armory was constructed by the WPA in 1935-1936.
“A one unit facility, the Pawhuska Armory is rectangular…with offsets and is constructed of rusticated and generally coursed native sandstone…
The Pawhuska Armory is particularly significant because it was one of the structures sponsored by the WPA shortly after the agency was established. Along with other armories across the state, it was to provide job opportunities for unemployed and destitute workers during the desperate winter of 1935-1936. That the building program helped to salvage broken and hopeless lives makes the armory a symbol of a government that cared for its citizens.” (www.okhistory.org)
The armory is still standing, but its current function is unclear.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE