Old Armory, Sedalia, MO
“The Sedalia Armory is one of the few remaining WPA projects in the city, and a good example of Art-Moderne style structures, emphasizing simplified streamlined form, smoothed-faced concrete exterior walls, rounded corners and horizontal emphasis. Work began on the Armory in December of 1940 and was completed in March of 1943. Located on a six-acre lot this concrete building consists of a two-story office wing, with and 85 x 100 foot barrel roof drill hall. Two incised artillery pieces flank each side of the main entry way, which faces south onto Ninth Street. Sold to a private owner in the spring of 2004, the Armory now has a new location just west of the Mathewson Exhibition Center on the Missouri State Fairgrounds.” (https://www.katydepotsedalia.com)
The WPA building now houses a private retailer.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on July 8, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE