“When the Federal Emergency Relief Administration was organized in 1934, the local relief burden was lightened by various projects employing Milford residents, and the distribution of surplus foods and clothing to the needy partially relieved the drain on town funds. In September, 1935, when the Works Progress Administration assumed the duties of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration, many of the village streets, drains, sewers, and town buildings were improved by local labor paid from Federal funds.”
History of Milford, Connecticut, 1639-1939; by Federal Writer's Project for the State of Connecticut; 1939 (page 148).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 31, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE