“Milford’s new Court and Office Building on West River Street was opened on March 27, 1937. This thoroughly modern community building, erected under the Public Works Administration program, provided offices for the Police Department, Town Treasurer, Health Officer, Engineering Department, Sewer Commission, Building Inspector, and Zoning and Planning Board, relieving the congestion in the Town Hall across the way. This building was but one of the several local improvements financed through Federal assistance during the last few years.” (History of Milford, 1939)
The building is still in use today. The PWA provided a $45,000 grant toward the $100,142 total cost of the project.[PWA Docket No. CT [W]1211.]
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 3. History of Milford, Connecticut, 1639-1939; by Federal Writer's Project for the State of Connecticut; 1939 (page 148).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 31, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE