Projects w1209, w1226-1 and w1226-2 constructed buildings on the campus of then Mississippi State College (now Mississippi State University). The projects were part of a 5-year building program from 1934-1939 totaling $1,424,478. Seven faculty apartment buildings and six residences were constructed under the Public Works Administration funded program. The apartment residences for faculty and staff were 2-story structures in the Georgian Revival Style. Some were frame construction and others brick/stucco. At least 3 of the brick structures are extant, and at least 1 of the frame residences. Architect firm was Johnston & Stevens.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory Database. Retrieved September 1, 2019 from
Report No. 5. Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105.
State's 5-year building program cost $1,200,000. (Dec. 25, 1938). Clarion-Ledger, p. 7.
Building work set at State. (Aug. 9, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 2, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE