Public Works Administration W1205 funded construction of a two-story brick Neo-Classical dormitory for what was then known as Harrison-Stone-Jackson Junior College. A loan of $64,000 and a grant of $52,364 toward the total estimated cost of $116,364 was approved 8/26/1936. Construction began 3/16/1937 and was completed 3/24/1938 at a total cost of $117,473. Architect was Vinson B. Smith, Jr. and the builder/contractor was Newton & Schmoll. It contains 62 rooms and was the only major structure built on the campus during the Great Depression. Historic renovations were made in 1974, and renovations and remodeling for a board room addition was completed 2015-2018. Mississippi Department of Archives and History assessed the importance and integrity of the building as notable and intact. It is designated as a Mississippi Landmark and is now the District Office of the MGCCC system.
Report No. 5 Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. (Jan 3, 1940). Region No. 3 Mississippi. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, Perkinston 131-PRK-0106-ML. Retrieved Sept 11, 2020 from:
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 25, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE