Milwaukie City Hall
A Public Works Administration (PWA) grant provided approximately forty-four percent of the cost of constructing Milwaukie’s City Hall in 1938. The simple Moderne style structure included space for the city’s fire department as well as meeting the city’s need for administrative office space.
The red brick building was designed by Portland architect Walter E. Kelly with embellishment primarily at the entrance. The rounded arch entrance is decorated with four pilasters above the arch that have cast stone capitals. A few Art Deco features such as brass light fixtures at the entry complete the facade. The contractor Joseph H. Anderson built the city hall soon after his company completed the nearby Milwaukie Junior High School.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
“Cornerstone of City Hall Dedicated to Milwaukie,” Oregonian. June 5, 1938.
“Milwaukie City Hall,” Cultural Resources Survey Form - Clackamas County. September 22, 1983. Oregon State Historic Preservation Office Database.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 8, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE