Old Lehi School auditorium
The structure originally built as the Lehi School Auditorium in northern Mesa, Arizona was constructed as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in 1936. Located on the east side of N Horne south of Lehi Rd., the building is now part of the Mesa Historical Museum Annex complex.
Waymarking.com: “In 1936, a WPA project added an auditorium to the Lehi School on Horne and East Lehi Road. It was so well built that it was designated as the community bomb shelter during the cold war. Further, when the building was no longer needed, due to its sturdy construction, it would have been too costly to tear it down. For this reason the school and auditorium are now home to the Mesa Historical Museum [Annex].”
National Archives, RG 69 Records of the Work Projects Administration, “Information Service (Primary) File, 1936-1942”
Personal visit by Evan Kalish, May 2018
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on May 21, 2013.
Additional contributions by Evan Kalish.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE