CCC Camp 589 Recreation Hall at McCormick Creek Park, INSource: photo courtesy of Glory-June Greiff
In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Recreation Center at McCormick’s Creek State Park. The building served as the CCC’s Camp 589 Recreation Hall. After the CCC vacated the camp, a WPA project adapted it into a nature museum in 1935. The WPA also built an adjacent shelter to display animals. This structure is now used as a open picnic shelter. The Recreation Center was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. The architectural style of the Recreation Center is “parks rustic,” a term used by the National Parks Service to classify the style of recreational park facilities.
New Deal Resources in Indiana State Parks, National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form, 1992, accessed September 8, 2017.
National Register of Historic Places, Owen County, IN, CCC Recreation Building—Nature Museum, accessed September 8, 2017.
McCormick's Creek State Park, accessed September 8, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Indiana DNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology; Glory-June Greiff on September 8, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE