Marcus Garvey Park
Project type: Parks and Recreation, Paths and Trails, Playgrounds
Quality of Information: Moderate
Site Survival: ExtantView Project in a Separate Window
“Marcus Garvey Park is one of the oldest public squares in Manhattan. Central to the life of Harlem for more than 150 years, it has served as a meeting place for neighbors, a front yard and play area for schoolchildren, and a holy place for members of local churches.
Known as Mount Morris Park for more than a hundred years…[In the 1930s] Parks Commissioner Robert Moses, with the help of the Federal Works Progress Administration, installed playgrounds and a system of stone walls, terraces and stairs that remains in place today.
In the mid-1960s the park again underwent dramatic changes. The City constructed a pool, a new recreation center and an amphitheater where Harlem residents continue to enjoy outdoors summer performances.
The park was renamed by the City Council in honor of the black nationalist leader Marcus Garvey in 1973.” (www.east-harlem.com)
https://www.east-harlem.com/parks_mg.htm Department of Parks, Press Release, October 26, 1937
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE