Madison-Ridgeland High School Gym, Front and side
Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed a 2 story, buff brick structure to serve as the gymnasium for the existing high school. It was connected to the earlier school with a 1 story walkway. Funded by the PWA, it is known as “a rare example of the Art Deco style in Mississippi, particularly as it was applied to schools” (Enzweiler, 1986). The addition features brick piers, circular windows, mousetooth detailing, concrete canopies, and stylized griffins sculptures on the front entrance. Total construction cost was $37,432 and the building was completed December 7, 1936.
Enzweiler, S. M. (1986). Historic Sites Survey, Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Retrieved from the Historic Resources Inventory Database.
Report No. 5. Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. Page no. 104. Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division. January 3, 1940.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 6, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE