Old Macomber High SchoolC.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
"This new vocational high school is part of an extensive school construction program in Toledo which involved 19 new school buildings and repair work on many others. It is a unit for boys in the upper 3 years of high school, is 3 stories in height and contains an auditorium with a stage, a library, gymnasium, 17 classrooms, 12 laboratories, and 18 shops where students can learn the fundamentals of engineering mechanics by dismantling and assembling standard equipment and in which the essentials of many trades are taught.
The building is fireproof, of structural steel and reinforced concrete. The exterior walls are faced with brick and trimmed with stone. Its volume is 4,270,000 cubic feet and it was completed in July 1939 at a construction cost of $1,545,948 and a project cost of $1,716,838."
(Short and Brown)
"Irving E. Macomber Vocational Technical High School was a vocational public high school in Toledo, Ohio, USA, from 1938 to June 1991. It served the entire city and was part of the Toledo Public School District. In 1959 the school became joint-operational with Whitney High School, an all-girls vocational school located just across 16th St., and the two buildings came to be known as Macomber-Whitney. The building still sits on Monroe Street, just northwest of Fifth Third Field."
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE