This ballpark (also known as Calvin Falwell Field) was built with the assistance of WPA funds is currently home to the Lynchburg Hillcats, a Minor League baseball team.
“The ballpark project began in 1936, after the city purchased 28 acres of land … for $30,000. City Stadium was completed in 1939, thanks in part to a $100,000 grant from the Works Progress Administration. The city contributed the remaining $190,000.”
"The Ultimate Minor League Baseball Road Trip" by Josh Pahigian (page 92)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on December 15, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE