Lost River State Park Wooden Cabin
The CCC’s role in developing the park, as explained by the state of West Virginia:
“During the Great Depression, beginning May 15, 1934, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1524 occupied Camp Hardy, which was located near the present day entrance to Lost River State Park. By 1937, the CCC boys had built 15 standard cabins, an administration building, the superintendent’s residence, a swimming pool and bathhouse, a spring house covering the Lee Sulphur Springs (named after Henry “Light Horse Harry” Lee, Robert E. Lee’s father), and several bridges and other small stone structures throughout the park.
The stonework of these beautiful buildings and structures was built to last. Many CCC work examples remain intact, including the 15 standard cabins still in use today. The hardworking young men also reconstructed the Lee Cabin, also located on the park. The cabin was originally used as a summer home by “Light Horse Harry” Lee. On July 1, 1937, Lost River State Park’s 3,712 acres of land opened to the public, and today the park is a tribute to the tireless work of the CCC boys.”
West Virginia State Parks, at http://www.wvstateparks.com/Brochures/LostRiverStateParkBrochure.pdf, accessed February 11, 2013.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on February 11, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE