Mount Rainier was the nation’s fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park’s development. Numerous structures were constructed at Longmire Village by the CCC.
National Register of Historic Places nomination:
“Comfort stations, fireplaces, and the campground loop roads were added to the Longmire campground in the 1930s with the help of CCC labor.”
http://fortress.wa.gov/dahp/wisaard/documents/RN/0/1/1580.pdf (pages 81-87, 126)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 15, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE