The Department of Parks announced the opening of this WPA playground in Queens on August 9, 1939:
“The land was acquired at the time the Board of Estimate approved the modified plan for the Atlantic Avenue Improvement, the playground was designed by the Department of Parks, and built for the Park Department by the Works Progress Administration.
The small children’s area in the southerly part of the playground contains various types of play equipment, a wading pool, and a sand pit. The balance of the area is taken up with basketball, volleyball, and handball courts, a softball diamond and a roller skating track which, when sub-freezing temperatures permit, may be flooded for ice-skating. There is a comfort station in the area.
Bordering the playground and separating the handball courts and the children’s section from the softball diamond and roller skating track, is an area landscaped with shrubbery and shade trees.
This is the 294th new and reconstructed playground added to the park system since 1934.”
The playground is still in use.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE