Constructing the Little Wood River Reservoir
WPA crews contributed to building the Little Wood River Reservoir near Carey. From the Bureau of Reclamation: “Reclamation conducted the earliest irrigation survey of the Little Wood River area in 1904. Reclamation officials concluded from the surveys, that the cost of storing water would be excessive. Several proposals and sites received consideration later, but financial problems prevented construction until 1936. Construction of the Little Wood River Dam started under the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1936. Confronted by winter weather, lack of funds, and floods, the WPA stopped construction in 1939. Construction of the dam finished in 1941, under contract, for an estimated $300,000. After construction, Little Wood River Dam eventually came under ownership of the Little Wood River Irrigation District (LWRID) which formed in 1935.”
National Archives Record Group 69N, Negative #8737-D
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on October 23, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE