Artist's rendering: Metuchen LibraryPhoto from "The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; June 1936 issue, page 24.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Metuchen Borough Library in 1935-6. The library is still in use today. Quote “The Dawn,” a monthly WPA newsletter, June 1936:
Laying of the cornerstone for the new Public Library in Metuchen was marked with appropriate ceremonies on May 3. The Library, which was begun on December 19, 1935, is a WPA project sponsored by the Borough Council and is being built by funds provided jointly by the Works Progress Administration, the Metuchen Library Association and the estate of the late Professor Theododore Hunt of Princeton. The Federal contribution total[s] $68,444.00. The sponsors contribute $18,000.00.
The building is a one-story brick structure in Colonial style, the design in keeping with the historic character of the section, yet having the latest equipment and facilities requisite for the modern Library. It has a basement which contains a meeting room, magazine storage room, historical data space and heating equipment. The first floor includes a general reading and reference room, a work room and children’s department. The population of Metuchen in 1930 was 5,748.
"The Dawn," a New Jersey WPA publication; June 1936 issue, page 24. Found at the Jersey City Public Library's New Jersey Room.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 8, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE