Front FacadeThe main facade of the Forrest City Public Library
The Forrest City Public Library was constructed between 1938-39 and was designed by the Little Rock, Arkansas, firm of Sanders & Ginocchio. The PWA provided a grant of $10,791 for the project, whose total cost was $24,242.
It was the first purpose-built public library in the city and was funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works as Project No. ARK. 1147-F. It has continuously functioned as a library since its completion. The only alteration to the building occurred in 1976, when a rear addition was constructed. The interior still mostly appears the same way it did historically.
Forrest City Library: “The Forrest City Public Library moved to its new home on Washington Street in April of 1939 at a cost of $25,000. PWA funded their 45%, with the rest financed by local bonds with a twenty-year maturity. The building was and still is owned by the city.”
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 160.
Forrest City Library: https://forrestcitylibrary.org/library-history (accessed May 2022)
Project originally submitted by Unidentified Submitter and Evan Kalish on May 17, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE