Lewisohn Stadium RampNorth Ramp Lewisohn Stadium, CCNY
In the summer of 1935, the College of the City of New York (today’s City College of New York), completed construction of the north ramp of Lewisohn Stadium with funding from the Works Progress Administration (WPA) (CCNY Newspaper). Lewisohn Stadium was an amphitheater that served as a public space for athletic, musical, and theatrical performances. The stadium was razed in 1973 in order to expand the academic facilities on campus (CCNY Libraries). Lewisohn Plaza now encompasses the area of what was once the stadium (New York Times).
National Archives and Records Administration, Negative 3307-C CCNY Newspaper "WPA Starts on New Building", September 19, 1935, last accessed October 2015 "CCNY Libraries", last accessed October 2015 New York Times: "Commemorating Lewisohn Stadium", last accessed October 2015
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE