Leonard-Leota Park Limestone River Bank built with New Deal FundsPhoto: Wisconsin Historical Society (https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI171441) © All Rights Reserved
“In 1900 the artillery tube was donated by the Navy Department to the T.L. Sutphen Post No. 41 of the Grand Army of the Republic in Evansville. The Post in turn donated the piece to the City of Evansville, which placed it on the City Hall lawn on a stone base that resembled a gun carriage.
“The cannon monument to the Evansville memorial was removed from City Hall to Leonard-Leota Park in 1938 as part of Depression Era improvements to the park.”
“THE COURSE OF ALLEN’S CREEK WITHIN LEOTA PARK WAS STRAIGHTENED AND ITS BANKS WERE RIP-RAPPED WITH LIMESTONE BETWEEN 1933 AND 1939 BY CWA, FERA, AND WPA-FUNDED LABOR.
“Additional records associated with this property: Leonard and Leota Parks (AHI 29139), Lake Leota Dam (AHI 74758), Leota Park Bell Tower (AHI 140860), Henneberry Shelter House (AHI 140861), Leota Park Bath House (AHI 140943), Leonard-Leota Park Skater#25;s Warming House and Bandstand (AHI 140944), Leota Park Store Building (AHI 140945), Leota Park Antes Drive Bridge (AHI 171381), Lake Leota Dam Stepped Falls (AHI 171461), Leota Park Horseshoe Lagoon (East) (AHI 171501), Leota Park North Baseball Diamond Bathroom Building (AHI 171761), Leota Park Horseshoe Lagoon (West) (AHI 171481), Allen#25;s Creek Foot Bridge (AHI 171801)”
"Wisconsin's Civil War Memorials
Evansville Civil War Memorial" http://www.suvcw-wi.org/memorials/evansville.html (accessed 12 July 2019)
"Leonard-Leota Park Architecture and History Inventory" https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI171441 (accessed 12 July 2019)
Project originally submitted by Ernest Everett Blevins on July 14, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE