Leland Elementary School
The Leland Elementary School was designed by N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town, and was constructed in 1935 as part of the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (later renamed the PWA). The building complex illustrates the simplicity of the Modern movement that evolved during the Great Depression.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory database (http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?id=29898&view=facts&y=959); historic building plaque from the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on March 3, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE