Former Lawrence St. School
All 17 schoolhouses in Framingham, Massachusetts were painted, remodeled, and/or repaired with federally funded labor during the Great Depression.
The former Lawrence Street School building presently houses the Eugene Thayer Campus of Framingham High School.
In 1940 the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) installed a new steam heating plant at the school and “transformed the basement room into an assembly hall large enough to seat the whole school.” A temporary ‘portable’ school facility adjacent to this building was repaired and “connected with the heating system of the Lawrence Street School” in 1941.
Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1940 (pg. 256). Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1941 (pg. 243). Annual Report of the Town of Framingham for the Year Ending December 31, 1943 (pg. 185-6) http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/massachusetts/txu-pclmaps-topo-ma-framingham-1940.jpg
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 17, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE