Cascade at Temescal Lake - Oakland CA
As part of general improvements at Lake Temescal Park – now known as Temescal Regional Recreation Area – Works Progress Administration (WPA) relief workers created a lovely stone waterfall alongside the elegant stone beach house. The waterfall is more of a cascade in three parts, starting about 50 feet above the waterfall itself. There are stone paths around and over the cascade.
The waterfall/cascade was restored to working order in 2013 by the Friends of the Regional Parks, but has not been in operation in 2020.
When the East Bay Regional Parks District was created in the early 1930s, the WPA and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) were called in to improve the first parks of the system, including Lake Temescal, to make them ready for public use,. Temescal Park opened to the public in 1936.
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on June 22, 2020.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE