Lake Superior Zoo’s website states: “The Duluth Zoo weathered through the depression years and the W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) Program built bridges over Kingsbury Creek and many animal enclosures (including the elephant house) that are still serving the zoo today.”
“This majestic and historic bluestone picnic pavilion was built during the Great Depression in the late 1930’s, under the auspices of the Works Progress Administration (WPA Program). Many similar buildings were constructed across the United States during this period, creating useful, beautiful and lasting structures for the benefit of the public while providing meaningful employment during the depression. The Lake Superior Zoo is home to other WPA structures including stone bridges, the vulture exhibit, the bear dens and the service building for Polar Shores which was home to our beloved elephant, Bessie.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 13, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE