Villita St View of Cos House, San Antonio Texas
It is generally believed that General Martin Perfecto de Cos, a brother-in-law of Mexico’s President Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, surrendered to the Texan commander, General Edward Burleson, after the five-day Siege of Bexar in December 1835 at the Villita Street building known today as the Cos House. This structure is considered to be the oldest building in the “Little Village” since it pre-dates the 1835 surrender. The building was restored through the efforts of NYA workers as part of the La Villita restoration project.
http://www.lavillitaheritage.com/history-of-la-villita http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hpl01 Marker on property
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on February 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE