The Public Works Administration (PWA) carried out the rehabilitation of the King’s Hill Poor Farm. The work included: buildings “overhauled and repaired,” new bathrooms for the “inmates,” new bathhouse constructed, “new employees’ rooms were constructed.”
The King’s Hill Poor Farm was again rehabilitated in 1940-1941. In 1941, the Annual Report of the Department of the Interior notes, “The King’s Hill Poor Farm in St. Croix […] is undergoing rehabilitation and is nearing completion. The work has been done under the supervision of the Public Buildings Administration and the Federal Works Agency.”
National Archives, RG 55, Records of the Government of the Virgin Islands, Annual Reports of the Governor and subordinate offices, 1932-34, Box 4 [Annual Report of the Public Works Department] Annual Report of the Secretary of the Interior, For the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 1941, By United States. Dept. of the Interior, Washington: 1942, Report of the Governor of the Virgin Islands, p. 17.
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on September 3, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE