Katie School - Katie, OK
The Works Progress Administration built a school in Katie OK.
Contributor note: “The Katie School was built in 1939-1940 by the WPA. This is a 4-classroom school constructed of native sandstone. It has a hipped roof, with a small gable over the east-facing entrance. This entrance and the ones on the sides of the school are recessed under an arched opening. The school is symmetrical with the entrance at the center. Two six-window ribbon units flank the entrance. The units extend to the eaves, but the top half is covered with wood slats, leaving 6-over-6 double hung units.
The school is located about five miles southeast of Elmore City, at the northewest corner of CR 1680 and what is known as Katie Highway. A large cornerstone at the entrance shows the date 1940. A bronze WPA shield is mounted on the wall showing the year 1939. The school building is used as a community center today.”
Waymarking, Katie School: (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMZ6CW_Katie_School_Katie_OK), accessed September 27, 2018.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on September 29, 2018.