NYC Parks describes the history of this park: “The property on which the park is located was acquired by Parks from the Sinking Fund in two parcels. The first parcel was assigned on July 11, 1934, the second on June 23, 1937. Kaiser Park was formerly known as the Coney Island Lots because the northwestern corner of the park is situated on Coney Island.”
A Department of Parks press release from November 1936 announced the completion of new facilities at the site, including “a wading pool 54′ x 96′, two hard ball diamonds for older boys and see-saws, swings, jungle gym, slides and playhouses for younger children.”
Although these sources do not mention the WPA or other New Deal agencies, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New Deal funds and/or labor, and that after April 1935, the WPA quickly became the main source of this support.
The park was further rehabilitated in the 1980s and 1990s.
Department of Parks, Press Release, November 7, 1936 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 NYC Parks - Kaiser Park
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on October 15, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE