Old Joslin School, Oxford, MA
Oxford, Massachusetts’s old Joslin School—since demolished—received assistance from numerous New Deal programs during the 1930s. In 1933 the Civil Works Administration (CWA) graded a playground at the rear of the school and built a sidewalk from the school to Main Street. The school grounds were further improved and graded during 1934 utilizing funds provided by the federal Emergency Relief Administration. Improvements were continued under the Works Progress Administration (WPA) with particular attention devoted to the “Joslin School Grove.” The WPA constructed an athletic field for the school in 1936. Finally, the federal Public Works Administration provided a $21,000 grant for the construction of an extension of the Joslin School.
The school was demolished between 2006 and 2007; outdoor basketball courts now occupy the site.
Annual Reports of the Town Officers / School Committee of the Town of Oxford, Massachusetts for the years ending December 31, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1938.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 14, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE