Jefferson County Courthouse - Mt. Vernon IL
The Jefferson County courthouse in Mt. Vernon IL was built with funds from the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1939. It is a three-story concrete structure in Moderne or Art Deco style, designed by architect William R. McCoy, who was quite active in central Illinois at the time. It is one of six New Deal county courthouses in Illinois (Weiser 2009).
Unfortunately, Weiser, Wikipedia and other sources make the common mistake of confusing the PWA with the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The courthouse is an elegant building, with a protruding south portico with three vertical sections divided by bas-relief pillars. Above the doorway is a clock and circular bas-reliefs. There are design elements between the windows and a handsome frieze circles the top of the second floor. The third story is recessed and there are protruding first stories on the flanks, with a formal side entrance on the west.
Weiser, Dennis. Illinois Courthouses: An Illustrated History. Virginia Beach: Donning, 2009.
Project originally submitted by Kate Harps & Dale Roberts on October 15, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE