Jackson Heights Station post office
The Jackson Heights Station post office of Flushing in Queens, New York “is a historic post office building located at Jackson Heights … The original section was built in 1936-1937, and was designed by architect Benjamin C. Flournoy (1876-ca. 1939) as a consultant to the Office of the Supervising Architect. The original section is a symmetrically massed one story brick building with a nine bay wide principal facade in the Colonial Revival style. It features a three bay entrance pavilion with four simple brick Doric order pilasters which support a limestone triangular pediment. The building was extended four bays to the east in 1964. The interior features a 1940 mural by Peppino Mangravite depicting scenes from the history of Jackson Heights.” (Wikipedia)
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Post_Office_%28Jackson_Heights,_Queens%29 US Post Offices in New York State, 1858-1943. National Register of Historic Places.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 15, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE