The Queens Branch of New York City’s Independent Subway (IND) was extended during the 1930s with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The IND line completed in 1933 only went as far as Jackson Heights’ Roosevelt Street station. On December 31, 1936, eight new stations were inaugurated, extending the line down Broadway and along Queens Boulevard to Kew Gardens. Four additional stations opened on April 21, 1937, extending the line along Hillside Avenue to downtown Jamaica.
"PWA Party Views New Subway Link"; The New York Times, December 30, 1936. "Jamaica Subway to Open April 24"; The New York Times, April 10, 1937.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 27, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE