Idlewild Picnic Pavilion from west
The Canyon Creek Crier: 1940 provided the following description of work to be undertaken by CCC workers in the fall of 1940:
“Tall, yellow pine timber stands like primeval cathedrals near the southern bounds of the Malheur National Forest and here we find Idlewild, a most ideal locality for an overnight camp. With this in mind the Forest Service plans the construciton of a camp site water system, outdoor kitchen stoves, picnic tables and benches and the customary sanitary facilities essential for a recreational campsite.”
The Idlewild Campground was the more ambitious of the two campgrounds built by members of Company 1231 during their work for the Malheur National Forest (1937-1942). The stonework and timber frame construction for the campsite’s large picnic pavilion provides sturdy covering for a number of picnic tables. The water system for the campground offers another amenity for picnickers gathering at the site.
The Idlewild Campground is located on the John Day-Burns Highway (Hwy 395) approximately twenty miles north of Burns.
The Canyon Creek Crier: 1940 (CCC Canyon Creek Camp Yearbook), Grant County Historical Society Museum Exhibit, Canyon City OR (Viewed October 2021).
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on November 17, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE