Iberia Parish Courthouse - New Iberia LA
The modernist Iberia Parish Courthouse was undertaken in New Iberia, Louisiana during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The three story, Art-Deco style building had white stucco walls and was completed for a cost of $410,863. The original courtroom contains the last federally directed mural by Conrad Albrizio, The Struggle of Man, completed in 1940. The courthouse entered use in 1940 and was officially dedicated on Armistice Day, 1941.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Cowan, B. (December 30, 2010). Conrad Albrizio. In David Johnson (Ed.) KnowLA Encyclopedia of Louisiana, 2010. Retrieved from http://www.knowla.org/entry/583/
Leighninger, R. (February 1, 2011). Public Works Administration Architecture. In David Johnson (Ed.) KnowLA Encyclopedia of Louisiana. Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities, 2010. Retrieved from http://knowla.org/entry/495/
Leighninger, R. D. (2007). Building Louisiana: The Legacy of the Public Works Administration. The University Press of Mississippi.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 3, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE