Six rustic style cabins, park landscape, park manager’s residence, lodge, pavilion, and a 525 foot dam forming a 12-acre lake were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps Company 4429 between 1935-1939. Construction utilized cypress timber from the Big Black river swamps. Architect was B. W. Martin. Holmes County park opened in summer of 1939, off highway 51 five miles south of Durant. It comprised 460 acres, although only about 20 acres hold the majority of CCC resources. During January and February 1936, Park Service and the Emergency Conservation Works filmed a motion picture to show the work being done in Mississippi’s CCC Camps, including the Holmes County park. Cinematographer was Paul Wilkerson.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory database.Quin Park to be shown in movie films. McComb Daily Enterprise, Jan. 28-1936, p. 13.
Emergency Conservation Work in Mississippi. Simpson County News, Oct. 1, 1936, p. 6.
Paul Tiblier. Neighbors give Jacksonians big tour greetings. Clarion-Ledger, Jun. 16, 1937, p. 1.
Ten state parks mark expansion of summer vacation facilities. Clarion-Ledger, May 18, 1939, p. 9.
Harrison Lea Stamm & Richard Cawthon. Feb. 10, 1997. National Register of Historic Places. United States Department of the Interior. National park Service.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 29, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE