The WPA worked during the late 1930s to improve “properties of the U.S. Maritime Commission on Hoffman and Swinburne Island in New York Bay” in New York City. Each island was previously artificially created and was, at the time, being used for the U.S. Merchant Marine as a training station.
WPA work on the islands included “reconditioning buildings, grounds, utilities and facilities; excavating; back-filling; draining; painting; improving roads and walks; installing electrical and heating facilities; grading and landscaping grounds; doing carpentry and demolition work …”
Approximately $210,000 was dedicated to these projects as well as work to “the Maritime Ship ‘Tusitala’ at Pier No, 6 on Staten Island, all within Richmond County.”
WPA Official Project No. 765-97-2-13.
In 1938 The New York Times reported that the WPA had constructed a $100,000 hospital on Hoffman Island.
There are no structures left on Hoffman Island, which is now overgrown with vegetation.
National Archives; Record Group 69: Records of the Work Projects Administration; Records of the Project Control Division; microfilm publication T936; roll 9.
The New York Times: "30 SEAMIEN APPLY FOR SHIP TRAINING," August 25, 1938 (pg. 39)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 16, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE